Best Foot Air Pump for Bike and Car: A Portable Handy Tool
What would you do if you need to inflate tires in the middle of nowhere? What would you do if you need to fill the air in your air bed? You would use an air pump, of course!
Single or Double Barrel Foot Pump:Which One Do You Need?
Based on number of barrels/ cylinders that have pistons, the foot air pumps are divided into two:
- Double barrel air pumps
- Single barrel air pumps
Double barrel air pumps provide more pressure. This leads to pumping of higher amount of air in a single leg push as compared to that of single barrel. Naturally then, the time taken to inflate an object will be less while using double barrel foot air pumps. So, they are usually used to fill in larger volumes, for e.g. LMV tyres, car tyres, etc. Single barrel air pumps are sufficient to be used for daily household objects.
What would you check before buying foot pump?
Before buying a foot pump, first, make sure you actually require it. Know exactly what objects do you want to use the foot air pumps for.
- Purpose: Depending on the use, you may opt for either single barrel or double barrel foot air pumps.
If it is only for inflating some balls, bicycle or motorcycle tires, then single barrel foot air pumps will be sufficient. Vigorous use to fill larger objects in lesser time would require you to buy double barrel foot pump.
- Brand: Trusted brands usually provide you with good quality products. Since you deal with high-pressures using these pumps, it is always advised to go for good brands, that assures you of the low chance of accidents. There are even chances of air leakage through nozzles and hose. This will have you put more efforts for pumping without getting the required amount of gas filled.
- Nozzle adapters: Make sure that proper adapters are available for the nozzle present on objects. Otherwise, you won’t be able to use the pump for the reason you require it for!
- Design: You should see if the design of the product suits your needs. You should check if you know how to read an analogue Pressure guage. In case if you’re not sure about it, you should go for the one having Digital pressure gauge.
What are the components of a foot pump?
A foot pump usually consists of the following parts:
- Foot pedal: This is that part of the pump where you can place your foot and press it to fill the air. Foot pedals usually consist of heavy rubber or plastic material to aid in the grip.
- Air pressure gauge: Air pressure gauge is a device which displays the amount of pressure with which the gas is released. It has calibrations which can measure the pressure in different units like PSI, pKa or bar. It can be digital or analogue.
- Cylindrical barrels: These barrels are usually made of steel or aluminum alloy. They contain pistons which can release the air under high-pressure into the inflatable object. These barrels are the most important part of the air pumps. The pistons are attached to the foot pedal, resulting in their coordinated movement and release of gas.
- Hose: These are the pipes attached to the barrel, directing the flow of the gas towards the object to be filled. These are usually made up of high quality braided nylon fibers.
- Nozzle adapter: The extreme end of the hose should be attached with nozzles pins that fit directly into the opening of the nozzle on the object. These parts are usually either made of plastic or brass. They need to be maintained well since they are the only point of attachment between your object and the pump.
- Basic framework holding the cylinders and pedal: These include nuts, bolts, a metal framework that elevates all these parts together.
Well, now that you know quite a bit about these pumps, let’s take a look at the best ones available in the market :
1. Krevia Bike Foot Pump:
If you are looking for an air pump which is easy to use and is ideal for a wide range of objects, Krevia Bike foot pump is perfect for you!.
The foot pump, measuring 30.5 cm x 7cm, is made up of high-quality aluminum with iron base frame.The aluminium metal, makes the product light weight and resisitant to rust as well as dust. The iron makes the framework strong enough to support all the parts and the pushing action. The 2 aluminum pistons of 4.2 cm width and 12 cm length are lighter than the traditional pumps. The anti-skid foot pad and the smart valve head are the features that make this product versatile in use! Different valve heads are attached to the pipes itself so as to avoid the smaller parts from getting lost.
Krevia foot pump can fill with high-pressure up to 200 PSI which reflects accurately in the gauge. This pump makes filling air into objects ranging from bicycle to a car tire extremely simple and easy!
Pros: Durable, Easy to use
Cons: Problems with valve heads, No manual or guide
2. Breewell Aluminum Supermall Portable Bike Pump:
Breewell Aluminum Supermall Portable Bike pump is a great option for inflating a large variety of objects with the utmost ease.
This air pump is made up of high quality aluminum to make it resistant to dust and rust. The iron base frame helps in supporting the pistons and the gauge firmly. The double barrels hold the twin piston, making this air pump efficient. The package is provided with 1 needle adapter and 2 plastic valves.
You can achieve a pressure of 160 PSI only by pressing the foot lever! The high-pressure ensures that it takes less time to inflate tires, balls, or even air beds. The pressure gauge is easy to read and is accurate. This car foot pump has a foldable design and is portable! It weighs only about 499 grams which makes it perfect for carrying while traveling.
Pros: Good design, Portable
Cons: Questionable quality of valves.
3. VelVeeta Aluminum and Steel Bike Foot Pump:
VelVeeta aluminum foot pumps are high-pressure air pump which can be operated merely by pressing the foot lever. The curved surface of the paddle increases the efficiency of the piston. The aluminum body imparts sturdiness and strength to the product. The iron base frame supports the pumping of this foot air pump for bikes efficiently. High-pressure up to 200 PSI can be achieved which can be monitored using the easy to read non-digital gauge.
The smart valve head can be easily attached to Deutschland, Schrader, and Presta valves. This makes sure that the valves fit into a lot of different devices. All kinds of balls and tires can be inflated using this foot air pump.
Pros: Easy to use
Cons: Air leaks, Inaccurate gauge.
4. Bellveen Portable Aluminum High-Pressure Air Foot Pump:
Bellveen Portable Air foot pump is a high-pressure Pump which gives you best results in less time! It is made up of good quality aluminum with a firm iron base, making the product rust and dust-proof, strong and durable. The use of an internal piston mechanism increases the efficiency of this product.
Achieving a high-pressure of about 160 PSI is very easy. All you need to do is press the lever with your foot! This Foot air pump is manufactured under stringent rules of European standard pressure gauge and thus, is almost accurate. It also has a simple mechanism to switch between Schrader and Presta valves to widen the range of its comfortable use!
Bellveen Foot Air pump can be used for motorcycles, bikes, cars, basketballs, footballs, peddle bike tires and so on. This can even be used as a cycle pump! The best part about this product is its portability! The small, compact design makes it ideal to be used at home or while traveling.
Pros: Easy to use, Portable.
Cons: Variable pipe quality.
Some of the best single barrel foot pumps are listed below:
1. Airmaker Air Foot Pump Motorbike or Bicycle:
Airmaker is an Indian brand which manufactures amazing pumps to fill the air in cars, bikes or cycles. This Air foot pump comprises of parts supplied by Prakash engineering works. Prakash engineering works is a leading manufacturer and supplier of good quality machinery parts.
Airmaker Air foot pump has a single piston in a good quality cylindrical steel chrome plated barrel. The pipes are made up of heavy nylon. The maximum pressure the pump can reach is 10.6 kg/cm2 What makes this product highly useful is the heavy brass material used for nozzles. The single nozzle has mechanisms to fit into cars, bikes and bicycle adapters.
The pump weighs 2.4 kg and is 350 cm long, 105 cm wide, 100 cm tall. The simple and readable pressure gauge works with minimum errors.
Pros: Good quality cylinders
Cons: Leaky nozzle, No user manual
2. Michelin Analogue Single Barrel Foot Pump:
Michelin is a second-largest brand which specializes in manufacturing tires and its associated products since 1889! Michelin single barrel foot pump is one of the most useful pumps we’ve come across.
This foot pump has a body made of durable steel with a rubber foot pedal. The sturdy and wide pedal has an anti-skid surface to aid proper foot gripping. The accurate pressure gauge can display the measurement in PSI as well as bar as units up to 50 PSI.
This product is compatible with all cars, trucks and tractor tires because of the unique pump foot valves. The 1.7 kg foot pump is 11.8 cm long, 3.5 cm wide and 4.6 cm tall. The compact design allows you to even lock the lever, thus, making storage easy! The attractive unique design and the smooth functioning of this foot pump for bikes definitely set it apart!
Pros: Good design, Good display, Sturdy
3. Michelin Digital Single Barrel Foot Pump:
Another Michelin’s top-notch product which is highly efficient and comfortable to use is Michelin Digital Single Barrel Foot pump.
This product is made up of sturdy and durable high quality steel. The pedal is made up of anti-skid rubber tread plate. Its dimensions are 30.2 x 12.9 x 10.8 cm and it weighs only 2 kgs. The best feature of this product is its almost error-free battery-operated digital pressure gauge. It can accurately display the pressure in 3 units: PSI, Bar, and kPa. In order to switch between the units, all you have to do is press one small button! The back-lit display of the gauge switches off by itself, after your use. This car foot pump can be attached to car tires, bikes, motorcycles, etc. using the unique gas nozzle adapters.
You can compress the product by locking the foot lever, aiding in easy portability and storage.
Pros: Good design, Sturdy, Good display
4. Breewell Cylinder High-Pressure Foot Pump:
Breewell has come up with an exceptionally useful and efficient design for a foot air pump for cars, motorbikes, bicycles, etc.
This foot air pump is made up of good quality aluminum alloy frame with a plastic pedal. Aluminum alloy is used to make the product light-weight. Thus, this air pump weighs only 499 grams. The 15 x 10 x 8 cm pump can supply air with pressure which displays accurately on the gauge. Thus it is perfect for you to carry it while travelling. The compact design allows you to efficiently store it in a small place. The elastic force spring attached at the bottom makes pushing the lever easy. The unique nozzle gas pin which can attach any valves as requires is the most amazing feature of this product.
Breewell cylinder high-pressure foot air pump makes a perfect asset for you to have to maintain your vehicle tires!
Pros: Good design, sturdy
Foot Air Pumps Are Easy-to-use Utility Tool:
Foot pumps are easy to use. To operate it, all that you need to do is to push the lever/ pedal using your foot. The pushing action leads to movement of the piston placed in a cylinder which propels the gas towards the inflatable objects. Time taken for filling up objects depends on the number of pistons present, the pressure with which the air is pumped and the volume of the object. Foot pumps can be used for filling up tires of bikes, cars as well as bicycles. They can even be used to inflate air beds, mattresses or footballs, yoga balls, etc.
Various designs for foot pumps are available in the market. Based on the material used, they can weigh from a few grams to 2 kgs. Some foot pumps are also available in foldable patterns to aid in their portability. With such great features, do you worry that they’ll cost you a lot? Well, no. Foot pump price ranges from around Rs. 950 to around Rs. 2500 depending on the multi-functionality and complexity.
Can You Use Hand Pumps Instead of Foot Pumps?
Hand pumps are manually operated air pumps which also consists of a cylindrical barrel. The piston is usually attached to a “T” shaped bar aiding in a proper grip. The bar has to be moved using both hands in order to release air under pressure.
Hand pumps are at a disadvantage as for elderly or small children, as compared to the foot pumps. Since the set-up is usually vertical, it becomes too tall for small kids and too laborious for old people.Can You Use Hand Pumps Instead of Foot Pumps?
Hand pumps are not at all suitable for bike or car. You can try it for cycle, though not a very good fit.